Maybe in a few days are you attending college for the first time? Here are a few tips to live in the best dorm room ever.
Did you know… ? (Differences between US and european colleges)
In an american college, most of the students live in a dorm room with a roommate. In most of the european universities, students don’t share their bedroom. Only spaces like the kitchen, the bathroom and the living room will be shared. Each student has most of the time his own bedroom. It makes a huge difference in the way you will design your room.
Tips to organize efficiently a campus/dorm room
Pic : Talk of the house
- organize your room by areas : work, rest, clothes…
- use the space under the bed
- keep it simple
- keep it clean and organized
- hide the ugly: change the windows treatment, use fabrics to cover an ugly seat, bed, wall… Tartan or stripes fabrics will instantly give a preppy touch.
- Sometime small is NOT beautiful : in a small space, you might be tempted to buy only tiny things to decorate : small lamp, small rug, small decorations. It is a common mistake that will only make the place look smaller. Don’t be afraid and dare to use one or two statement pieces like a lamp, wall art. It will add a more luxurious and dramatic atmosphere and make a big difference.
- Take advantage of what already exists. If you can’t change the yellow color of the room, use it even if you had dreamed of a green one.
- Don’t go to Ikea. Everyone else does.
- Go to Ikea. I mean, don’t go for the furniture that everyone else buy (unless you wan’t a no-personnality room). But it is still a good place to find great furniture and design pieces for a very reasonnable price. The key is to mix it with others brands, vintage or antique furnishings.
Decorating ideas that will instantly upgrade your room
- Art & photographs
- A beautiful lighting
- Nice sheet & pillows
- A coffee & tea corner
- A mirror to make the space feel bigger